What is Door Access Control System ?
Access control security systems are designed to restrict physical entry to only users with authorization. Many organizations, governmental and private, have started adopting access control security systems for physical entry into their facilities. Whether it is a simple non intelligent access control system like a punching in a password, or advanced biometric systems that scan and permit entry very specifically, there are many advantages to employing these security systems.
What Advantages of Access Control Systems ?
- Reduced Requirement for Manpower
- Allows Access and Restriction to Multiple Entries and Exits
- Internal Levels of Restriction and Access
- Time Based Control for Security Systems
- Keeping Check of Punch-in and Punch-out Time
- Biometric Systems
Types of Access Control Locks
Access control devices are the primary among the essential security products available for both residential and office security. The access control devices are easier to install and they are more effective than regular biometric access control devices. There are important types of access control locks which can be used in all places. These locks are mostly electrical devices which can be connected to many other devices like computers etc. easily.
- Door Locks – The door locks are the primary type of access control devices used for security purposes. These door locks can be used in houses and also in offices. They use keypad locking/unlocking system to operate.
- Fingerprint Locks – These access control devices will make use of finger prints for locking and unlocking. The can be connected to electricity to operate. These locks are mostly used in offices to control access in certain rooms and halls.
- Card Readers – Card readers are also a type of lock system in access control. These card readers are used for limiting the access in certain areas. Bar code reader which is a type of access control card reader does not fall under the access control locks category.
- Gate Automation - The gate automation system is used to operate the gates and main entrances of big houses and also in offices. Using access control gate automation system is a growing trend in India.
- Electronic Locks – This type of access control system has 2 sub-types:
- Electromagnetic locks which can be mounted on the doors to restrict the invalid entries. When this access control device is powered, the magnet will be charged and disable the operations of the entry doors.
- Electric strikes which are similar to the latches in the door panel. These latches can be enabled and disabled using electric power.
How the Access Control System Works
- The typical access control system consists of a card/ pin reader, electromagnetic lock or door strike, power supply system and a push button.
- The valid and authorized card user must present the card to the security system.
- Upon verification by the reader, the locking system will be de-energized and the door can be pushed open.
- To exit the premises, the person will have to press a door lock release switch and the system will release the lock.
- A power back up is also installed while fitting in the access control system.
- A break glass is also incorporated in case of emergency.